This hearty homemade marinara sauce is a staple in Italian cuisine. It’s simple, yet full of flavor, and can be used in a variety of dishes. The secret to its rich taste lies in the quality of the tomatoes, so make sure to use the ripest ones you can find.
Prepping time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
4 cups of ripe tomatoes, chopped (800 grams)
1 large onion, chopped (150 grams)
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons of olive oil (30 ml)
1 teaspoon of sugar (5 grams)
Additional seasoning: salt, pepper, dried basil, dried oregano
1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic, sauté until they become translucent.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes, sugar, and seasonings. Stir well to combine.
4. Reduce the heat to low, cover the saucepan, and let it simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Once the sauce has thickened to your liking, taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
6. Use it immediately, or let it cool and store it in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for up to six months.
Find this recipe and more in my Vegetarian 5-Ingredient Cookbook